Now, I admit I've been finding fewer and fewer shows I like over the past couple of years, but at least the industry seems to be surviving -- perhaps on the backs of its workers; perhaps with a larger number of shows that are only three to fifteen minutes long; perhaps with a larger number of new seasons of past successes -- but surviving and apparently thriving.
Anyway, here are 15 shows that sound potentially interesting to me. There are others that may be more interesting to you. After this brief list will come full notes about all (or almost all) the new shows: cast, staff, story, image, trailer and a few words from me. Hope it helps you find the shows you like.
- Ame-iro Cocoa – A new show from Mochizuki Tomomi (YKK, Touka Gettan, Zettai Shounen, Saraiya Goyou). This one is a sentimental comedy set in a coffee shop full of bishounen. The only problem is that it looks as if episodes may be very short, as with Mochizuki's pupa, which suffered because of that. We shall see.
- Danna ga Nani o Itteiruka Wakaranai Ken 2 – A second season of the short comic anime portraying real married life (and love), with Suzumura Kenichi and Tamura Yukari as an otaku and his long-suffering but loving wife.
- Denpa Kyoushi – Kamiya Hiroshi as an otaku who becomes a strange but effective schoolteacher.
- Etotama: Eto Tamashii – Nya-tan the cat wants to become one of the animals of the zodiac. She and the other animals have two forms: pretty teen girl and cute SD character. From the team that gave us the pretty and enjoyable Astalotte no Omocha.
- Hibike! Euphonium – KyoAni presents another after-school music club, this time a brass band. The set-up makes me groan, but the staff and cast look great. Written by Hanada Jukki, directed by the director of Kanon, Clannad, and Haruhi.
- Kekkai Sensen – Bones and the director of Kyousougiga create an elegantly vicious show set in a New York where humans and weird creatures from another dimension mix. Koyama Rikya and other top male voices star.
- Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine – My favorite science fiction show in nine years is back for a second season.
- Kyoukai no Rinne – A manga by Takahashi Rumiko (Ranma ½, Maison Ikkou) adapted for anime by Yokote Michiko (Princess Tutu, Genshiken, Shirobako). Our heroine can see ghosts, and is surprised when a new transfer student turns out to be a shinigami.
- Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku -- Kimura Juri (who was terrific as Aoi in Shirobako) stars in a show based on the work of Vocaloid composer Last Note.
- Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu – A completely different Nagato Yuki, from a completely different studio and staff, but with all the same voices as in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. I'm intrigued.
- Ore Monogatari!! – Madhouse, the director of Cardcaptor Sakura and NANA, the writer of Blue Drop and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, and a highly professional cast. These all make me confident about this story in which the big lummox apparently gets the girl.
- Owari no Seraph – A virus kills all adult humans and the surviving children are enslaved by powerful vampires, who keep them like milk-cattle for their blood. Our hero is determined to do the impossible, and defeat the vampires. From the director and writer who did the somewhat similar Attack on Titan.
- Plastic Memories – Our hero works for a company that produces androids that are indistinguishable from humans – but that only live ten years. He and a pretty android are a team sent out to recover androids who have reached the end of their lives. From the director of the enjoyable Mikakunin de Shinkoukei.
- Re-Kan! – The young but immensely talented Kido Ibuki stars as a girl who can see spirits.
- Show by Rock!! – Excellent cast (Uesaka Sumire, Sakura Ayane, Taniyama Kishou, Miyano Mamoru, Kayano Ai, etc.) in a young-shoujo fantasy about a magical world of music. Our heroine joins a rock band whose members can turn into cute little stuffed animals. Animation by Bones. Produced by Sanrio, the makers of Hello Kitty.
- Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love Revolutions – Another season of pure shoujo wish-fulfilment, with our heroine surrounded by bishounen in a school for idols.
Click on a title in the alphabetical list below to go to its full preview: